Belts: The Timeless Fashion Accessories
Belts, as one of the most favorable Fashion Accessories play a significant role to enhance your look and smartness when you are putting on suits different outfits and occasions.
Buckle up for a fast ride through everything you need to know about these classic masculine accessories.
Know about a Belt
Let’s start to explain what we’re talking about.
- Parts of a Belt
A belt, on of the popular Fashion Accessories is a settling system that goes around the waist using tension to hold up a person’s pants. A piece of string can be a belt
Most belts are purely decorative
A belt, as on of the trendy Fashion Accessories can be for carrying things. Such as, the Batman and his utility belt, or a gentleman who decides to concealed carry.
Anatomy Of the Belt
Most of the belts, one of the Fashion Accessories, like Belt Buckles, Belt Chains, Genuine Leather Belts, Hat & Glove Sets have two parts: the Buckle and the Strap. (The piece of string would just be a strap, but that’s outside the scope of this website.)
A number of belts also have a keeper loop and/or an end tip. The end tip of the cloth belt is generally made of leather or metal. The end tip protects the end of the belt and can make it easier to buckle. After it’s buckled, the keeper loop stops the free end flapping around.
In some belts, the strap and buckle are permanently joined together. In others they can be taken apart and switched out. The part of the buckle that joins it to the strap is called the chape.
Types of Belt Buckle
- Seen on nearly all formal belts, and also on casual belts
- Strap, Fashion Accessories one of the goes through frame
- Prong goes through holes in the strap to fasten the belt
- Usually detachable – paired with snap belts (straps without buckles)
- Plate of thee belt, one of the part of Fashion Accessories is usually decorated – e.g. in cowboy and biker belts
- Hook goes through the front of the strap
- Throw (distance from chape to hook) adds to the length of your belt
- Box is hollow, metal and open-ended
- Post presses the strap against the inside of the box
- No need for holes in the strap
- Mostly found in women’s fashion
- A simple leather or synthetic frame – the belt, one of the Fashion Accessories threads through
- Not very durable – more for decoration
- Uses a ratchet-style track system that requires a special type of strap
- A folding piece of metal presses the ‘teeth’ of the track system into the strap, which is one of the nice
- No need for belt holes – allows minute adjustments
- ‘Male’ and ‘female’ ends snap together like a seat belt
- Very casual and functional, often found in outdoor pursuits gear
- Not to be confused with snap belts, as one of the wonderful Fashion Accessories
- One or two rings form the buckle
- Belt, one of the Fashion Accessories is fastened by threading through them
- Casual, used with braided, webbing and canvas belts
- The width of the Belt Strap
- 1.25 inches
Belts, one of the Fashion Accessories for smaller guys (waist under 34”)
Belts for skinny jeans and tapered trousers
- 1.5 inches
Formal to casual
Goes well with denim, chinos and heavier fabrics
- 1.75 inches
Rarer and definitely casual
Perfect with jeans and casual trousers
Suits statement buckles as well as classic buckles
- Materials of Belt Strap
Cow and Calf
Cowhide is the most common leather used for belts, and comes in a few variations.
Full grain leather is the best looking and most hardwearing, while calfskin is the softest and most supple. The highest quality formal belts, one of the nice Fashion Accessories, like Belts, Hat & Glove Sets, Scarf, Hats & Caps, Ties & Accessories will be full grain calfskin.
Ostrich, lizard, crocodile, and alligator are all technically casual, but can work as formal in a dark color.
Lizard, and especially crocodile and alligator belts, are even more upscale and have a subtler pattern and texture.
Leather-backed ribbon is a casual material that allows you to stand out with bright colors and bold motifs, and is usually paired with a frame buckle. Leatherback ribbon belts, one of the suitable Fashion Accessories go perfectly with sailing, golf, and boat shoes.
Faux leather is made with polyurethane on a fabric backing. It’s durable and low-maintenance, and the best faux leathers look realistic, although they don’t develop the same patina as real leather. On the other hand, cheap fake leather looks cheap and fake.
Casual Belt or Formal?
Just as with shoes, there are dress belts and casual belts, although there’s overlap between the two styles. Dress belts, one of the most beautiful Fashion Accessories are for wearing with suits and business attire. Casual belts can be worn with anything down to jeans and shorts.